Tuesday 21 August 2012

Understanding Wedding Traditions


I can’t remember the time when I came to have an idea about this saying but being such a sucker for weddings I need not to know when and how.
One day when Grace and I are having a conversation on chat I suddenly thought of the idea of this “something, something” so I asked her, “ay, un pa palang something old, something new!” then she said,“anu un?! enlighten me please!”.  I told her a thing or two about it and that’s when I started to ask myself what does this really mean.  Hahah!  Ok, I confess I doubted my own knowledge so I gave myself an assignment to know what it really meant.
This saying dates back from the Victorian era where brides should try and ensure that they have something of each in their wedding outfit.
To represent a link from the bride’s family history that will symbolize continuity, something old is worn.  It may either be a piece of jewelry, a handkerchief or something from the mother of the bride’s wedding gown.
A piece of heirloom jewelry can be work as "something old"
Something new represents good luck, success and a bright future for the bride’s married life.  The wedding gown is often chosen as the new item.  Wearing anything new on the wedding day conveys that the bride and groom will create a new union that will endure forever.
Most brides wear a "new" gown
A thing “borrowed” from a happily married woman is important because it represents lending something from her own marital happiness for the bride to carry  into her new marriage life.  Something borrowed represents that the bride’s friends and family will be there for her on the special day and in the future when help is needed.
Borrowing any item like this pair of earrings from any married woman is common.  Most of the time, brides borrow from their future mother in laws.
Blue in the ancient times symbolizes faithfulness, purity and loyalty.  The most common blue item that brides wear nowadays is the garter but in the olden times, couples wore blue bands on the border of their wedding attire to denote love, modesty and fidelity.
Blue bridal shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment